This vibrant Egg Roll in a Bowl recipe is packed with all the flavors you love in traditional egg rolls but is deconstructed and served in a bowl for a healthy and delicious alternative. No deep-frying involved!
This healthy dinner idea is high-protein and low carb and in this recipe, we’ll give you alternatives to make it keto, gluten-free, and whole30 approved!
Egg Roll in a Bowl = Deconstructed Egg Rolls!
Whether you’re looking for a low-carb dinner idea or just a healthier egg roll without the deep frying, this egg roll in a bowl recipe is for you! It’s a Fit Foodie Finds reader favorite recipe and we’re so glad you stumbled upon it because we know you’ll love it too.
This low-carb meal is packed with delicious fresh veggies + all the flavors you love in a traditional egg roll. And did we mention they’re not deep-fried?! 😉
In this post, we’ll teach you how to make our signature egg roll in a bowl recipe, while giving you some tips and tricks to make it your own.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Ingredients
- Soy sauce: the basis of the sauce is made up with soy sauce. Feel free to swap for tamari for a similar flavor.
- Chili garlic sauce: chili garlic sauce adds some heat to this sauce. If you can’t find it/don’t have it, feel free to use sriracha.
- Honey: honey really balances out the spicy and acidic flavors of this recipe. It’s optional, but we love it.
- Rice vinegar: rice vinegar is mild and so yummy.
- Sesame seeds: sesame seeds add just the right hint of sesame flavor.
- Olive oil: we used olive oil to help cook the ground turkey so it wouldn’t stick, but coconut oil or avocado oil work too.
- Shredded carrots: feel free to buy shredded carrots or shred your own.
- Shredded green cabbage: green cabbage is the most classic ingredient in egg rolls, so don’t skip it!
- Red onion: we’re onion people. Any color works.
- Sliced pea pods: The sliced pea pods actually go in raw to create an amazing texture.
PS: you can always buy a classic coleslaw mix instead of all of the above separate veggies.
Meat & Eggs
- Eggs: eggs are a great extra protein add and they also provide great texture.
- Ground turkey: we are using ground turkey in this recipe, but it totally works with ground chicken, ground pork, or ground beef too!
How to Make an Egg Roll in a Bowl
These deconstructed egg rolls are easy to whip up, and reheat just as well, making them a great option for serving a crowd or meal prepping for the week. Let’s walk ya through it:
Start by placing all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small bowl and whisk all of the ingredients together until combined. Then, set the sauce aside for later.
Next, heat a large skillet over medium/high heat and add olive oil. Once the olive oil is fragrant, add the ground turkey and cook until the turkey is no longer pink, making sure to break the ground turkey into small pieces as it cooks.
Then, add shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced red onion, and the sauce to the pan and mix everything together. Keep the pea pods out of the pan for now! You’ll sauté those in a bit. Cook everything together on medium for 3-5 minutes, stirring every minute or so.
Push the meat and vegetables to the side of the pan, and crack 2 eggs into the empty side of the pan. Using a spatula, scramble the eggs while they cook. When the eggs are fully cooked, fold them into the meat and vegetables, mixing everything together thoroughly.
Finally, add the pea pods to the pan and let them cook with all of the other ingredients for 1 minute. You’ll want to wait to add the pea pods til right now to ensure that they don’t get mushy in the sautéing process!
Remove the pan from heat and top with optional sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro! Serve in a bowl with one of the following delicious and nutritious pairings below.
Egg Roll in a Bowl Recipe Pairings
This recipe is delicious as a stand-alone, but if you’re looking to serve it as a side dish, or in a bowl with quinoa or rice, we highly recommend any of the following:
- White rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Brown rice
- Chicken stir fry
- Top with cashews
- Wonton chips for scooping
- Egg roll wrapper if you truly want a proper egg roll!
- As a side or appetizer for one of the following asian dishes below:
Got leftovers? Transfer leftovers into an airtight container. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce
- 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 3 cup shredded cabbage
- 1/4 medium red onion, shredded or thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sliced pea pods
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Start by placing all of the ingredients for the sauce into a small bowl and whisk all of the ingredients together until combined. Set the sauce aside for later.
- Next, heat a large skillet pan over medium/high heat and add olive oil.
- When the olive oil is fragrant, add the ground turkey and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Then, add shredded carrots, cabbage, red onion, and the sauce to the pan and mix. Cook everything together for 3-5 minutes. Stirring every minute or so.
- Push meat and vegetables to the side of the pan and crack eggs into the empty side of the pan. Using a spatula, scramble eggs while they cook.
- When the eggs are fully cooked, fold them into the meat and vegetables.
- Finally, add the pea pods to the pan and let them cook with all of the other ingredients for 1 minute (you don’t want them to get mushy).
- Remove the pan from heat and top with optional sesame seeds, green onion, and cilantro!
Serving Size: 1/4
Author: Category: Main MealMethod: Stove TopCuisine: AsianDiet: Gluten Free
Keywords: egg roll in a bowl